Saturday, January 14, 2012

Shamed by a Name

There are certain things I believe celebrities simply should NOT be allowed to do.  One is name their children.  I mean, come on--kids have a hard enough tough time growing up this day and age as it is.  Of course, being bulleyed and teased for your hand-me-down clothing and bowl-cut hairstyle are practically rites of passage.  We all must endure the ridicule at some point and, as a result, come out on the other side stronger individuals for it.  However, getting your you-know-what kicked on the playground as a result of your parents' thoughtless decision and attempt at uniqueness is just downright ridiculous and totally unnecessary.

Just last week, Beyonce and Jay Z's daughter's name was released by the media--Blue Ivy.  It got me to thinking...why do celebrities feel the need to torture their children?  I started a running mental list of all the atrocious names I've heard come out of Hollywood.  First, there was Rumer.  Then came Apple and Moses, Jermajesty, Blanket, Huckleberry, Pilot Inspektor, Coco, Phineus, Moroccan and Bear Blu....and the list sadly goes on and on. 

When I was growing up, the name Cassie was unheard of, and I thought I had it bad going through life with a name that no one could pronounce.  Seriously--if I had nickel for everytime someone called me Casey, I'd be retired by now.  Apparently, Hooked on Phonics didn't work for the majority of the population.  Even my college professors couldn't get it right! 

Most of the time, I don't even bother correcting people when they butcher my name--I pretty much answer to anything.  I've had many a phone conversation answering to Cathy Phillips as though I speak with a "lithp."  As irritating as the mispronunciation of my name is and the fact that I rarely find trinkets in gift shops with my monogram, I guess it could be worse.  I could have famous parents and, as a result, be named after a fruit or household item.

No comments:

Post a Comment