Sunday, September 9, 2012

Say No to the "Snedge"!!!!

Ah, fall is in the air.  With the temperatures dropping from 102 to the 80s in the past couple of days, I am reminded that my favorite time of year is upon us (or so I'd like to believe).  After all, Texas weather is unpredictable.  I'm told that our days of 100-degree highs are over, but we shall see.  Dallas weathermen and their forecasts are about as reliable as a politician in delivering on his campaign promises. 

Speaking of politicians, I am so ready for this election to be over--but I promise to steer clear of talking politics on this blog.  After all, they say you should "write what you know," and my knowledge about shoes, fashion and cosmetics far outweighs my knowledge of the political arena.

While I am sad to say "adios" to my dozens of colorful, strappy summertime wedges, sandals and open-toed heels, I look forward to boot season and colorful-sweater weather.  I don't know what it is about fall, but it's always been my favorite season.  The leaves start to turn, and there's a certain crispness in the air.  Now is the perfect time to shop for summer clearance items, and I highly recommend that you do take advantage of the amazing deals.  My mailbox is overflowing with coupons and store mailers, and, while thumbing through the summer-inventory sales and several fashion magazines over the past few weeks, I couldn't help but notice the upcoming trends for fall and winter.  One of them perplexes me, and, quite honestly, scares me a little bit.  It is none other than the wedge sneaker.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good wedge shoe.  But this compilation of a wedge heel and a sporty sneaker in one is just plain goofy-looking.  And they're everywhere!  The salesgirl at DSW had on a pair, they're in all the fall catalogs--I've even written copy for a few of them.  I just don't understand the concept.  Have fashion footwear designers completely run out of ideas and resorted to strange mutations to standard designs for something new and fun? 

I don't know--it just reminds me of some bad fashion trend held over from the early 90s.  Frankly, these "weakers" or "snedges" (hey, if the fashion industry can use such words as "jeggings" and "shooties," I can coin my own fashion terms) are just plain U-G-L-Y!  They look like something you'd sport if you were preparing for a trip to the moon.  I honestly believe Justin Bieber is somewhere behind this scheme.

Nevertheless, fashion trends come, and they go (thank the Lord!).  So while I won't be jumping on board a NASA-funded trip to the moon in this season's "snedges," I'll applaud your courage in wearing the strange shoes (and will most definitely make fun of you behind your back at the hideousness of your fashion sense).  I guess at the end of the day, I must remember--to each her own!

1 comment:

  1. I haven't seen them yet, but they sound ugly! I am so looking forward to fall, too!!! Bring on the sweaters!!!

    ReplyDelete