Saturday, April 30, 2011

One Man's Junk....

It's official--garage sale season has begun.  I slept in 'til 9:00 this morning, which, if we're talking about a retail setting, equates to hitting a sale on the last day of the season.  All the "good" stuff is gone.  Jeremy shopped the neighborhood garage sale at 7:00 a.m.  When he returned at 8:00, less $75, he had a truckload of gently used stuff for a fraction of the cost.  I must admit I was impressed with the treasures he happened upon.  I'm still trying to talk him out of the pair of fleur de lis sconces that cost him a meager $4.  I even agreed to pay an up charge of $6! 

I guess it's true that one man's junk is another man's treasure....for now.  Eventually, the life cycle of your garage-sale purchase will forge ahead, losing its $3 value and will, once again, be put on the market for a future treasure hunter's revelation.  Such is the circle of garage-sale life.

I confess I have never been particularly excited to wake up early on a Saturday morning to rummage through tables and tables of secondhand crap in search of a hidden gem.  In my experience, a quick drive-by generally reveals nothing but outgrown baby clothes, old VHS tapes, slightly used exercise equipment, and superfluous amounts of plastic Tupperware.  Occasionally, however, you happen upon a bargain that makes the tireless search completely worth it. 

Maybe there's something to be said for shopping garage sales.  I guess I'll just have to start setting my alarm for an early awakening on Saturday morning so I can set off in search of my next hidden treasure.  When you find something amazing--for a bargain price, no less--it's almost as if you've earned the right to become its proud owner.  Ok, how 'bout I give you $8 for the set?  Pleeeeease???

No comments:

Post a Comment